Homes by Email
Be the first to see new listings as soon as they hit the market!
For many people, both residents and visitors alike, Southwest Michigan's historical facts are quite interesting as well as surprising. Southwest Michigan's factoids include:
• 11,000 years of settlement complete with mammoth and mastodon hunting.
• Being a "stop" along the Underground Railroad.
• Home to the Civil War hero who captured Confederate President Jefferson Davis fleeing the defeat of his nation.
• Home to the Checker Cab Manufacturing Corporation & Upton Machine Company, later renamed Whirlpool Corporation, original home of the Gibson Guitar Company.
Southwest Michigan's firsts, some contested by other locales, include:
• The first airplane flight.
• The first automobile.
• The first newspaper published between Detroit & Chicago.
• The first state to have a border-to-border interstate freeway.
Southwest Michigan Area highlights
Southwest Michigan has a season for everyone! The blossoming of Spring is energizing as we witness the new growth of many fruit orchards and vineyards as well as the prepping and planting of spacious farm land. Summers, in one of the nation's most diverse growing areas, offers a multitude of events and activities for the whole family that are sure to create many lasting memories. Ahhh, the spectacular views of Fall, the changing colors and harvest season are calming, cozy and tranquil. For the football fanatics we are a short drive to the Notre Dame Chicago and Detroit stadiums. Michigan Winters are beautiful to explore via snowmobile, snowshoeing, cross country skiing or by vehicle to enjoy the scenery.
All four seasons in our corner of the mitten offer a variety of fun and exciting events and activities that will appease all types from the extreme fitness buff to the laid back relaxed type. Visit one of the many parks and recreation areas, swim in Lake Michigan or fish many inland lakes. Hike up the sand dunes of Grad Mere Beach or run the steps to the top of the sand dune at Weko Beach. Snowshoe or snowmobile through nature’s paths or enjoy paddle boarding or canoeing the area waterways. Float on a pontoon or charter a fishing boat. There are numerous golf courses, country clubs, Wineries and Breweries, stroll through many quaint little towns or catch a film at The Acorn Theatre. The rolling winding roadways are inviting to the bicycle enthusiasts or a relaxed laid back motorcycle ride. Whatever your desire, the options are endless. For those that love the city life, we are a short drive to Chicago, South Bend, St. Joseph, Battle Creek and Grand Rapids to name a few.
For up to date upcoming events check out https://swmichigan.org/events